Thursday, April 14, 2011

Another Full Day of Staying Home

Yesterday was another mostly uninteresting, but relaxing, day at home.

Probably the most interesting thing that happened was waking up and seeing an email with the subject "Renewing the Call for Divestment THURSDAY." To no one's surprise, SCAI (Students Confronting Apartheid in Israel) is restarting its campaign for divestment. This is at least the third year they have called for it, though I think they precede my time at Stanford by some years. This time they are kicking it off with talks from four Middle East experts. Of course, the four speakers at the event share similar views in the Israel-Palestine political scene; some might call them "pro-Palestinian" or "anti-Israel" if they want to use terms. The flier for the event was sent to the Larkin chat list. I decided to put together a message in response that basically said, "I'm not going to tell you not to go, but here are some things to think about, some things to look out for, and some reasons to be cautious when entering this debate. I know some stuff about this. Feel free to contact me any time." I haven't really heard back from anyone yet, but maybe I will after Thursday.

The rest of the day I spent cleaning up some stuff in the yard, checking up on flight details, reading British history, and surfing the interblags.

No comments:

Post a Comment