Saturday, March 26, 2011

Second Post

The careful among you may have noticed that I only just posted the last post. I wrote it yesterday and posted it to the second blog I accidentally made yesterday, living-in-spires.blogspot.com. By the time you read this, I will probably have deleted it, since I never meant to make two and I prefer livininspires. 

Well, I don't have much to write today. I'm feeling proud of myself for waking up in the morning and going straight to write in my blog. Hopefully this becomes a habit. 

One thing I forgot to mention about the reading I did yesterday was something I learned and found interesting. (I also want to get in the habit of observing and recording interesting things I see and learn around me every day. More on this later.) My interesting bit of knowledge from yesterday was that henges, like Stonehenge, are actually scattered all around England and actually have nothing to do with the stones. "Henge" is a term used to refer to any of the roughly similar neolithic earthwork constructions where there is a circular or ovular bank with a concentric ditch inside. They are not known to serve any practical purpose. Having the ditch on the inside of the bank would not be useful for defense. So people figure they must have served some sort of ritual or social purpose, the details of which are long lost to us now. 

In the case of Stonehenge, it is likely then that the henge came first and the iconic stones second. The purpose of the stones is unknown, though the author of the book I am reading seems to agree with common knowledge in that the stones may have been designed to align with the positions of celestial bodies. He said that it would not have taken any knowledge of science or math to come up with their arrangement, just simple observation over some long period of time. 

Well, that's my interesting thing for the day. I might continue this habit of writing in the morning about things that happen the day before. That will force me to reflect on the previous day and pick out what is most interesting or relevant. Also, I think mornings are one of the few times I can easily and regularly keep for myself. Nobody ever really expects me to be social in the mornings. 

Last thing - general feelings for the day. I am frustrated that it is still raining and miserable outside. I am proud of myself for doing all this research into Oxford and the UK. I am excited for Oxford and the UK. I am excited for Edden's bar mitzvah in a few weeks. I am excited to play more Civ IV. 

That's all for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment